Leucoderma or Vitiligo and Natural Home Treatment for Leucoderma
‘Leuco’ means ‘white’ and ‘derma’ means ‘skin’, thus leucoderma means abnormal whiteness of the skin.
This disease is usually very difficult to treat. If the patient and the doctor treat this disease for a long time with patience, it is possible to cure it. During the treatment very small blackish spots appear in the white patches.
This is a disorder invoving Bhrajaka Pitta of the skin. In Ayurveda, all skin disease are called Kushtha. In ths disease, whte spots or white staining takes place on the skin; hence it is called ‘Shwitra kushtha.’ It is a disease of deficiency of melanin pigment in the skin.
It is a skin related disease more normally known as “leucoderma”, which means white skin. It is a widespread disorder of depigmentation, which occurs due to retarded purpose of melanin in the skin. The melanoblasts in the affected area lose their power of forming pigment.
In this condition patches of skin lose their pigmentation and become perfectly white, though no other changes take place in them and mainly there is no formation of scales over them.
Causes of Leucoderma
1. It is not caused by any germs or infective agents.
2. The exact causative factor is not acknowledged.
3. Excessive thinking, worry, chronic gastric problems, improper liver functions, worms/parasites in the digestive system, aggravate ‘Vitiligo’.
4. Burns and injuries are the other contributory factors.
5. Heredity is also one of the factors.
Symptoms of Leucoderma
The problem usually starts with a little white spot and later on it develops into patches. These patches are pale in the beginning but become whiter and whiter as time passes due to loss of pigment.
As spots enlarge, they merge into each other and, in course of time, form a very broad patch. In some cases, most of the skin of the body may be enclosed with white patches.
Treatment of Leucoderma
Before we go into the Leucoderma treatment options we should take an overview of leucoderma or as it is more commonly known in the west, vitiligo.
Leucoderma is a chronic skin disorder anywhere the skin develops white pale patches in random locations. These marks are small at the start but may increase in size and number with time. The skin is colored by pigments called as melanin.
Home Remedies for Leucoderma
1. Simply consuming a glass of neem juice on a daily basis serves as a therapeutic natural remedy for healing Leucoderma.
2. Taking a decoction prepared from the leaves and stem of basil plant is one of the most reliable natural home remedies for Leucoderma treatment.
3. Crush approximately 35 grams of radish seeds and add about one teaspoon of vinegar in it to make a fine paste. Applying this paste on the affected area can help eliminating the white spots and retaining the normal skin color.
4. Taking the juice extracted from goosefoot fruit and applying the juice extracted from its leaves on the white patch is one of the most successful home remedies for Leucoderma. This goosefoot therapy should be continued for at least two months to relieve the problem.
5. Regularly drinking cucumber juice mixed with about 100 grams of alfalfa seeds twice a day helps in dealing with white patches caused by this disease.
6. Make a fine powder of dried pomegranate leaves and consume about eight grams of this powder two times per day on a daily basis for treating white patches on the skin.
Read more on Leucoderma Herbal Remedy. Also Read more on Home Remedies for Leucoderma and Home Remedies for Acne
Dr. Sarkozy Mikal